Friday, July 3, 2009

Rest in Peace, Michael

I was born in 1968, so I guess you could say that Michael Jackson and the Jackson 5 provided me with the sound track to my childhood all the way through high school.

I would be remiss in letting the opportunity pass to say farewell to the greatest entertainer who ever lived. It has been a week since his death, and I can hardly believe that he is gone. When I first heard the news being reported from TMZ, I was very irritated. I remember feeling very disappointed that they had been so irresponsible for reporting such a terrible joke as truth. When I realized that it was true, I went numb. I remember feeling the same way when Lady Diana passed away. I really felt that this piece of truth was so far from my reality that it still didn't seem true. I can't say that I was sad, because although I guess I considered myself a fan at one time, but I knew that the world had just experienced a great loss.

While riding in the car, ever radio station (regardless of genre) was playing Michael's music. With in the first eight count of each song played, I smiled and began to dance and sing. I was enjoying my own private concert. Every song evoked a wonderful memory from my youth. I became a fan all over again. And that's when I felt the personal loss. What Michael left behind, over 40 years of music, is all there is. And while that is more than we deserved, it's all there is. Nothing more, nothing less.

I know that in recent years Michael has been surrounded by controversy, but that does not erase his contribution to music. I find it very sad that the media has chosen to present his death as entertainment rather than with dignity. But why should I be surprised, all of his issues, legal, financial, emotional and physical has always been treated with such a lack of respect. I am not saying that he deserved more because he was a superstar, but he deserved more because he was a human being. I refuse to seek entertainment in the story of his death! All of the drama, confusion, speculation and sensationalism really disappoints me. I wish they would just let him rest in piece.

We all want to claim Michael has our King of Pop. I guess I just wish that people would realize that he was some one's son, father, brother, uncle, and friend...and for those he left behind, we should have respect and allow him to rest in the peace that he could not find in life.

1 comment:

  1. Amen to your last paragraph! I agree with you. Sad that his kids can't even watch tributes on tv for him because of the negativity!

    ReplyDelete